Most people know that Henry Ford made the car affordable.
When cars were first made, they were all hand built from scratch.
This took a long time as each component was handcrafted and therefore was very expensive.
But the modern family car is probably cheaper in real terms than the first cars produced – cheaper than it ever has been..
This was possible by the use of . . .
The key to making cars cheap and affordable was mass production and automation.
Henry Ford reduced the price of the average family car of the time from $800 to $200 while the competition was still charging $1,000 and he was able to pay his workers better.
And the key to reducing costs in your business is just the same – mass production (economies of scale) and automation.
There are many tasks that we perform in business, and many of those are being done manually.
And anything that is being done manually means that somebody is being paid an hourly rate to do that job.
For example, modern accounting systems have many features now that eliminate manual data entry. These include:
- The download and integration of your bank statements into your accounting system
- Automatic uploading of receipt information from photos taken on your phone
See my recent article – Get leveraged with online software
If you run events in your business, than an automated, online events management system built into your website will save you a lot of time and therefore save a lot of money as well.
It will allow your customers to self-manage their booking with you, and ensure that all tickets are pre-paid.
Your website is another key area where automation can save your business a lot of time and money by reducing manual labour.
Automatic processing of payments through a shopping cart or events manager.
Information entered on a contact form in your website can be automatically added to many third party software such as accounting systems, CRM Customer Relationship Management systems, your email newsletter, etc.
For example, a prospective client comes to your website and completes a contact form.
- Their information can be uploaded to your CRM software with records created to schedule followup phone calls and appointments.
- At the same time, the prospects information can be uploaded to your accounting software in readiness for preparing a proposal or quotation.
- The email address can be added to your newsletter database so that they start receiving information about your business from your website.
- You might also want them to be added to an autoresponder so that they receive a series of follow-up emails over the next days and weeks, e.g. with instructions on how to use your product.
There are so many possibilities – ways to reduce the manual workload in your business by automating processes like this.
Each business is different and so the opportunities for automation vary.
If you would like to know what is possible in your business, then contact us for a complimentary consultation.
Well, that is quite simple really!
Watch this short VIDEO
Henry Ford, Model T, and the Assembly Line.
What should you do now?
- If you want to save time and money, look for ways to automate your business processes.
- Not sure about this? Have a free consult with me to find out where you can make those savings.
- Want some help or ideas? Just contact us at Hotpink Websites now.
A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time.
~ Henry Ford
Remember – How Henry Ford made the car affordable