Spammers now target LinkedIn
I guess it was only a matter of time before Spammers would target LinkedIn.
So – be warned.
Those spammers and email address harvesters are still out to confirm your email address, account details and passwords . . .
So naturally, spammers now target LinkedIn for email and password harvesting!
In the past, very little attempt was made to make the fake emails look anything like authentic.
People were unaware of the pitfalls, and easily fell for the trap by replying to the fake emails, providing account details and passwords, etc.
But awareness of these unscrupulous scammers has been increased through social media and blog posts such as this one, and so they have had to become more creative in catching their prey.
They now use email formats that look incredibly like the real thing.
They even incorporate logos and action buttons – compare the fake email above with a genuine one below. (click to enlarge image)
- “Senders” email address – clearly not LinkedIn, although be careful because they can make it look like a LinkedIn email address
- “To” email address – this is not the email address on my LinkedIn account, so clearly not from LinkedIn
- Take notice of your mail program when it thinks something is spam
- This is not an action button that LinkedIn uses
- You can check hyper-links in emails by hovering the cursor without clicking
- Again, hover the cursor over these links – they are not pointing to the LinkedIn url
- This action button IS a replica of a genuine LinkedIn action button, but the link is a fake
In the fake email, it just mentions the “To” email address, which we already identified is invalid.
In the genuine email, my name and full description from my LinkedIn profile is included.
This is a strong indicator that this email is the real deal and not one that Spammers now target LinkedIn with.
What should you do now?
1. NEVER just click on links in emails. Hover the cursor to check the link address.
2. Learn what to look for so that you can spot the fakes.
3. Want some help or ideas? Just contact us at Hotpink Websites now.
Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
~ Bill Cosby